Big Blue will welcome new and returning talent as they look to advance further in the conference, county, and state tournaments this fall.
1-to-1 Laptop Requirements and Recommendations
To be part of Pingry’s 1:1 laptop program at the Middle and Upper Schools, a student’s laptop must be capable of efficiently performing tasks necessary to complete classwork. Consequently, a student’s course schedule will dictate, to some degree, the quality of laptop he or she needs. Most laptops purchased in the past 3 years should be fine to bring to school.
Each day, Middle and Upper School students should bring to school a fully charged laptop, protective case, power adapter, and any other necessary accessories. Students are responsible for maintaining their own laptops. The Tech Department will not have an adequate supply of power cords to loan to students.
If you do not find the information you need, please email Mr. Brian Burkhart, Director of Educational and Information Technology, email@example.com.
A Middle or Upper School Pingry Student’s Laptop Should:
- Have a functioning wireless network card that supports 802.11g or newer protocols and be able to connect to the Pingry wireless network.
- Have 4GB or more of RAM.
- Efficiently run Google Apps for Education products.
- Have a large enough screen and high enough resolution to read ebooks and course material.
- Have working speakers, microphone, and webcam.
- Efficiently run required course-specific software, which may include products such as the Adobe Creative Suite*, LoggerPro (Science), MathType, Geometer’s Sketchpad (Math), etc.
- Connect to a classroom HDMI projector, using an adaptor if necessary.
- Be setup to perform consistent backups, either via cloud storage (such as Google Drive) or via an external hard drive.
*Please be aware that Adobe’s Creative Suite is provided only to students taking certain Fine Arts courses. Please consult the Pingry Curriculum Guide for more information. If you will need to install Adobe Creative Suite on your laptop, please note that it places greater demand on your hardware and will affect the overall performance of your laptop. It is recommended that RAM be a minimum of 8 GB.
NOTE: The Pingry School 1-to-1 program is platform independent. Pingry recommends and can assist with support for Mac OS or Microsoft Windows.
If your laptop does not sufficiently perform the tasks defined in the minimum requirements, The Pingry School recommends that families purchasing a NEW laptop choose a machine that meets the following specifications:
- RAM: 8 GB
- Solid State Hard Drive
- Wireless Card (802.11n or newer) and webcam
- Warranty Extension/Accidental Coverage
- Laptop case or laptop sleeve to protect in backpack
If you plan on purchasing an Apple laptop, for most students the Pingry Tech Team recommends a 13" MacBook Air, upgraded to 8 GB of RAM. This laptop is lightweight, has great battery life, is powerful enough to run almost all applications quickly, and, thanks to the additional RAM, should last for a number of years. If you need to do a great deal of photo or video editing, an upgrade to a MacBook Pro with a larger hard drive may be appropriate. Please note: for those Mac models that use USB-C, be sure to also purchase USB-C adaptor(s) as appropriate. You can receive discounted pricing on Apple devices by visiting the Pingry Apple Store:
If you prefer to use a Windows computer, the Pingry Tech Team recommends Microsoft’s Surface Pro, Surface Book, and Surface Laptop devices, depending upon which form factor you prefer. You can receive discounted pricing through Pingry on Microsoft devices by visiting the following web store:
For your reference, about 60% of our faculty use Mac laptops, as well as about 85% of our students.