Dr. Cottingham was appointed Interim Upper School Director in July 2021, and her Pingry experience includes three years as Upper School Academic Dean and a semester as Interim English Department Chair.
The focus of all three years of Drama is the development of the individual. Using the categories set forth by Brian Way in his seminal work Development through Drama, each year the Drama classes will provide opportunities for growth in concentration, sensory awareness, imagination, physical self, speech, emotion, and intellect. The central concerns are first to help each individual discover his or her own resources and then to move on to explore the individual’s environment, which demands a conscious relationship with others who inhabit it. Since the primary concerns of drama match the natural development of a student in the passage from childhood into adolescence, this program is an essential Middle School art experience.
- Drama 6: Character & Movement
- Drama 7: Devised Theater
- Drama 8: The Word in Action (Elective)
- Musical Theater 8 (Elective)
- Acting Out: Improvisation (Form I Friday Course)
- At Play in the Attic! (Activity Block Option)
- Theater Tech (Activity Block Option)
- Middle School Musical (Activity Block Option)