Four senior captains will lead Big Blue this fall, as the team aims to capture the Somerset County Championship title.
On January 19, at the Non-Public "B" Relay Championships, pole vaulting "sophomore sensations," as they were dubbed by NJ.com, Caroline Dannenbaum (clearing 12') and Carol Ann Perry (clearing 11'6") vaulted a combined 23'-6" to break the all-group meet record of 22'—set last year by Caroline and her sister, Julia '17—putting them at #1 and #4, respectively, in the state. The distance medley relay team of Anna Wood '18, Lilly Rockoff '19, Ryan Davi '21, and Nicole Vanasse '20 also won their event (13:13). In the shuttle hurdle relay, Dylan Anidjar '20, Izzy Acosta '20, Caroline Baulig '21, and Ally Lima '19 finished second and broke the school record (38.49). These performances and others led the team to a third-place finish overall.
Their impressive showing at the state relays marked them as a team to watch, but the Girls' Varsity Winter Track & Field Team, which has broken a dozen school records (some twice) in the last two months of competition, has been churning up the track—and field!—since the season began. In fact, NJ Milesplit's New Jersey Track & Field Team Power Rankings just put them at #4. Below, a recap of their highlights thus far:
Bishop Loughlin Games, December 17
• Caroline Dannenbaum '20 took first in the pole vault, clearing 12' for the first time in her career
• Ryan Davi '21 placed first in the 1,000-meter run (3:06)
Somerset County Championships, December 28
• Anna Wood '18 won the 1600-meter run (5:45)
• Caroline again won the pole vault, clearing 11'6"
Lavino Relays, January 13
• The distance medley relay team took second (13:21)
• The 4x400-meter relay team placed fourth (4:30)
• Sophia Weldon '18 won the high jump (5'2") and took second in the long jump (16'5")
Skyland Conference Championships, January 28, second-place finish
• Nicole Vanasse '20 won both the 1600 (5:17) and 3200 (11:21)
• Avery Schiffman '18 placed fifth in the 800-meter run (2:24), with Ryan Davi '21 (2:26) in seventh
• Caroline Dannenbaum '20 won the pole vault with a PR of 12'4", qualifying for Nationals; Carol Ann Perry '20 took second with 11'6"
• Sophia Weldon '18 placed third in the high jump (5'02")
NJISAA Prep Championships, February 3, first-place tie with Lawrenceville
• Cathleen Parker '19 won the 1A division of the 1600-meter run (5:32)
• Anna Wood '18 won the 3200-meter run (12:00)
• Lauren Taylor '20 placed third in the 200-meter run (27.44)
• The 4x400-meter relay team placed second, slashing their time to 4:09
• Dylan Anidjar '20 (9.44) and Ally Lima '19 (9.53) took first and second in the 55-meter hurdles
• Kierstyn Brown '20 (7.75) and Lauren Taylor '20 (7.80) took first and second in the 55-meter dash
• Nicole Vanasse '20 (2:17) and Ryan Davi '21 (2:17) took first and second in the 800-meter run
• Sophia Weldon '18 took second in the high jump (5'2")
• Nicole Brigante '20 bettered her own school record in the shot put, with a throw of 21-7.5.
The Varsity Classic, February 5 (Armory Track & Field Center, NYC)
• Ryan Davi '21 won the 800-meter run (2:15) and qualified for the Emerging Elite race at Nationals
• Nicole Vanasse '20 won the 1600 in 5:10
• Caroline Dannenbaum '20 cleared 12'3" to win the pole vault
**It is worth noting again that Caroline Dannenbaum '20 (pole vault) and Ryan Davi '21 (800 meters) have qualified for the prestigious New Balance Nationals Indoor in early March, and teammates Nicole Vanasse '20 (1600 and 800) and Carol Ann Perry (pole vault) are close.
Next up, the Non-Public "B" Group Championships on February 17, where they will look to defend their title from last year.
Go Big Blue track & field!
Contact: Andrea Dawson, Senior Writer, email@example.com