As Big Blue readies itself for the fall season, it hopes to improve upon its record last season, during which the team took third in the Metropolitan Independent Football League.
By Madeline Skapper '20
Head Coach: Carter Abbott
Last season's highlights: Led by captains Mairead Higgins '18, Shea Smith '18—now playing for Georgetown University and Princeton University, respectively—Sana Sheikh '18, and Josie Cummings '18, the 2017-18 Girls' Varsity Lacrosse Team had a breakout season, finishing with a season record of 17-6 and a #10 ranking in the state by NJ.com. Two weeks after advancing to the Somerset County Tournament finals, the team went head to head once again with Mount St. Mary for the NJSIAA Central Jersey Group 1 crown on May 25, this time winning the championship game. The season marked the first time since 2011 that the team has won a sectional title and made it to county finals.
What to watch for this season:
* Led by captains Cathleen Parker '19, Olivia Lai '19, and Abby Beckman '19, the team is looking to defend the sectional title they captured in 2018.
* Coach Abbott is looking forward to maintaining a positive team culture and continuing to live by the team's core values of inclusiveness and hard work.
* Preparation for the upcoming season began this winter with a weekly clinic and twice a week strength training at the Bugliari Athletics Center (for those athletes not playing a winter sport).
* Close to 60 girls—combined freshman, JV, and varsity—are expected this season, according to Coach Abbott.
* Their first regular-season game is scheduled for March 27 against Phillipsburg High School. They will face Mount St. Mary—who they had to defeat for their sectional win last year—at home on April 11.
"My favorite part about coaching lacrosse is being with the girls on the field, win or lose. We are always focused on preparation for the next game, as the team plays in the toughest conference in the state. This year we are focused on emphasizing a positive team culture and maintaining the high spirits from last season." —Head Coach Carter Abbott
Contact: Andrea Dawson, Senior Writer, firstname.lastname@example.org